Monday 11 November 2013

Typhoon Yolanda hits Ormoc

Help for Ormoc

Ormoc City, Leyte is my hometown. My family, friends, and people I have known all my life live in this port city of a population of about 200,000.

Last Friday, November 8 2013, supertyphoon Yolanda, internationally known as Haiyan hit Central Philippines making 6 landfalls across 8 provinces. With our location close to the Pacific Ocean, we are used to typhoons but nothing could have prepared us for the wrath of Yolanda. With winds of about 315kph or 195mph, nothing was spared. The typhoon hit the city around 6.30am and didn’t leave until 2.30pm that day.  I was able to get in touch with my family on Friday night and they are all safe.  From what they have told me, the number of casualties so far is minimal but there is a lot of damage around the city. Most people have lost their homes. The roofs of people’s houses, including my family’s, are either severely damaged or completely gone. My brother Iñigo has said that because most of the efforts by the Red Cross are pouring into Tacloban at the moment, my city and the neighboring towns are not getting food, water, and other basic supplies. People are hungry, homeless, and in dire need of our help.


Stories from everybody I know are heartbreaking and it is very difficult to be away during this very challenging time.  My brother, Iñigo said that in the midst of all this devastation, many feel grateful that they got a second chance in life. "Surprisingly, in the midst of all this devastation many here feel grateful and lucky that they got a second chance In life. Property damage is unimaginable but we know we will get through this. What really is important is that we are alive. There are so many who have perished and have lost loved ones here. It's an unbearable feeling. But we have to pick up the pieces. With your help and the grace of God we will again rise up."




My brother's house. Their roof was blown away in the middle of the storm.


Other photos of Ormoc can be found here.
Ormoc Aerial Views

No comments:

Post a Comment